Monday, January 28, 2013

Lamb Stew

Today, I made lamb stew. My husband and I gave it five stars.


Below is an approximation of my recipe.

I began by browning a lamb shank with a teaspoon of minced garlic.

Meanwhile, I put a box of liquid beef stock in the crock pot to which I added:
       a bag of raw baby carrots,
       a half cup of celery chunks,
       about 20 tiny red potato quartered,
and two small onions cut in wedges.

To give it flavor, I added:
        half a cup of red wine,
       a dash of Worcestershire sauce,
       half a teaspoon of thyme,
and half a teaspoon of basil.

When the lamb was soft, I cut it into bite-sized pieces and added it, with its broth, to the crock pot.

About half an hour before supper, I put the stew into a large pot on the stove, added a can of mushroom soup (because it was not thick enough) and let it boil.

During the last ten minutes, I added a bag of frozen peas and salt and pepper to taste.

I served the stew with biscuits and grapefruit halves. It was a warm and filling winter-time meal.
  
Our family has an inside joke about lamb stew. About fifteen years ago, we went to the British Isles with the whole clan. In a pub in Ireland, our daughters ordered lamb stew. Unfortunately, our son opted for fish 'n chips.  

His order turned out to be mediocre, while theirs was superlative--the best they had ever tasted. Well, they ribbed him about what he missed for the rest of the trip and continue to mention it from time to time even to this day.

Tonight, as we feasted on mouth-watering lamb stew, we wished he was here to enjoy it with us. His sisters and the rest of you would have been welcome, too.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment