Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Makes Us More Joyful

Giving thanks reverberates off the walls of the soul, creating an echo effect in the spirit. I am not sure how it works, but being appreciative puts a smile on the face. So, what am I thankful for this year that makes me happy?

I am thankful for the abundance of food we have in this country. Having lived in Haiti for six years and thinking of the people in the Philippines after the typhoon, I know that not every country is so blessed. To remind me and my family of the bounty we enjoy,  I used vegetables for my centerpiece this year. The quality and quantity of fresh produce we have in our grocery stores is amazing. We should be so thankful.
I am also thankful for the safety we have to gather with family and friends in our homes without fear. That too is a privilege not available to many people in other countries. We should say, "Thank you, Lord!"
Finally, I am thankful for the family members who can be around our table. Our son, his wife, and their three adorable children will join us,  as will my mother. I will appreciate each person's presence, because you never know when this will be the last time they will be with you for the holiday. I am especially aware of this because the health of my in-laws and my husband's  aunt make it impossible for them to join us this year.

So, notice simple things like plenty of food, freedom from fear, and dear faces around the table; give thanks, and be happy!


1 comment:

  1. Dear Maurie,
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! I am grateful we've connected! Enjoy this special time of gathering.
    Warmly,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete