Monday, December 9, 2013

A Candy Cane Christmas Tablescape

I don't know about you, but I get in a rut decorating for Christmas. Many years I use the same containers on my table, the same linens, and the same glassware and chargers. However, on Saturday I spoke at a ladies Christmas Tea on decorating for the holidays. Pressure to have something original forced me to come up with some fresh ideas. 

My first original tablescape I called A Candy Cane Christmas.  

                             

At the top of the picture, you can see a white feather wreath tied to the chandelier. I simply got a straw wreath form from Michaels, wound it with white feather boas, then tied it with white ribbon to my chandelier. 
photos from: thefrugalhomemaker.com

On the center of the table I used three red glass cylindrical vases purchased at Marshalls for under $10 each. They aren't Lalique, but I think they are quite handsome. 
The red spiral glassware came from Pier 1. 
White porcelain Christmas balls from Michael's serve as placeholders. 


And the red angels on each napkin came from The Dollar Tree--five for $1.00. To each I tied the message the angel brought to the shepherds: "I bring you good news of great joy; unto you is born this day in the city of David  a Savior who is Christ the Lord."


The silver trees I purchased at Wannamaker's in Philadelphia. (Unhappily, the wonderful department store closed years ago.)

In the photo above of the table, the vases are empty, but at the Christmas tea, I showed the ladies how paperwhites fit perfectly in the cylinders and are held upright by red cranberries. 

Currently, the red vases are grouped together on a round table in my sunroom.
Looking at my Christmas decorations and tableware with fresh eyes has been inspirational. Let me encourage you to rethink your table this year and add something new.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of festive, fabulous and fun ideas there! The paperwhites look great in those vases. Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete