Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rushing the Season

I don't know about you, but I am always anxious for spring. As soon as February shuts its door, I am ready to greet pussy willows, primroses, and pansies. At the garden center, clerks annually remind me that a long or especially cold snap can kill even hardy cold-weather flowers. I know, but I can't help myself.

My winter wreath is packed in its box, and a circle of forsythia and pussy willows hangs in its place.

Ceramic snowballs are encased in their container, and the spring flowers bloom their place.

Inside my snowflake candle holders and snowmen are tucked into their bubble-wrap blankets. Now monochromatic eggs nest in a pottery bowl.


The cyclamen on the dining room table sprouts pussy willow shoots.

In the kitchen, an angel at an empty tomb announces, "He is not here; he has risen as he said." This tableau focuses attention on the meaning of the season: New life was bought at a terrible price offering the humble recipient forgiveness instead of guilt and hope instead of fear.  What a reason to celebrate!

No wonder I look forward to the coming-to-life of all things bright and beautiful. Let's hope the ground hog was right, and we are destined for an early spring.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! I especially love your empty tomb! I still have my snowmen on my front porch...and woke to snow this morning. Maybe if I pack them away....the snow will refuse to come????
    It's a plan, anyway!!
    Blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maurie, I'm a friend of Rachel and Candace (used to live in Richmond and my husband and Curt went to law school together!), and just wanted to say hi! I too love interiors. I also can't wait for Spring to really come! The pansies I planted back in the fall are in very bad shape!! I have a new blog, I'd love for you to take a look if you're interested :) www.anneworthington.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maurie! Thank you for stopping by my blog. You are incredibly sweet and I was so excited about your comment I had to read it to my husband. You totally made my day! :) I can't wait to read about the nurseries you will be posting about soon. I LOVE your blog and will continue to stop by!

    ReplyDelete